Author Topic: Project X electrical problem  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
Project X electrical problem
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »
ELECTRICAL PROBLEMWe have always had a problem with Project X dis-charging after a week or so of non use but the battery always checked out OK and the optimers always said it was good.

When Johnny took over Project X at the rally there was a problem and shortly after that we lost all electrics and lights but the bike still ran fine.

Again the battery said it was fine when we put it on the optimser.

When I got Project X back on Thursday I put the battery on charge again and it come up as OK.

Today i thought I would have a look for the problem.
Checked all the fuses and they are fine, checked all connections and all OK.

So I thought I would put the meter on the battery.

There was nothing at all, but the battery was charged and OK on the optimiser so I put the meter on my battery fitted to my special.

Fitted my battery to Project X and all working, changed a few bulbs and sorted a front indicator and it all apears OK now.

Im wondering if the problem was the battery from day one.
Also the Zeeltronics will not function properly if the battery is flat and I am wondering if this was the problem with it lacking in power.
I will leave my battery fitted for a while and see what happens.

The YUASA battery fitted to Project X was new when we built it 18 months ago and it was on a optimiser most of the time.
Even when it was at Fowlers I removed the batterry and kept it on charge.

So a new battery is also on the shopping list.

Thats one job sorted, now need to get the 350cc barrels blasted and sent to Norbo for a rebore before I start to strip the top end off.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:21:15 PM by Paul Dawkins »
Southampton

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
Re: Project X electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »
My battery is exactly the same and has been for 2 years now. It will go flat in 2 weeks if bike is not started.
I will put it on charge a day before I use it. Bike then runs fine if I use it daily.

If the bike stands for more than a week it will be touch and go starting.  I really should leave it on the optimiser all the time
 --  Articles always needed

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
This battery is as dead as a dead thing Del
Nothing
Nowt
Power no existieo
Zilch
Caput

Even after a 48 hour charge
The strange thing is the Optimser says its OK
Project X need a charged battery for the Zeeltronics to cut in.

Southampton

Offline Hairy Scotsman

• IT / IS Engineer
  • Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • Member No. 278
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »
Hi Paul - noticed that some of your pics are out of focus, Most digital camera's have a 2 position button "shoot" button - Press half way & the camera will auto focus, pressing further will take the pic.  :)
400F, 350LC YPVS NII

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
They are always like that mate
That how everyone knows its me taking them. ;D
Southampton

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
I do not think your camera will focus on an object if you are holding the camera within 12"

Try taking a picture of the same thing. Hold the camera 5 foot away - then take a serioes of pictures getting a few inches closer each time right down to a few inches away.
Load pictures on PC and see where you minimum camera focus point is.

Another tip is too take half a dozen pictures of the same thing (like the wiring) - load them all up on the PC and delete the bad ones.

Never take just one photo.
 --  Articles always needed

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »
Take the pic fro  further away and use the optical zoom. do not bother with digital zoom it just reduces quality and yo can do the same afterwards on the computer with out the loss of quality
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
But im good at fitting waterbeds.. :D :D :D :D

And I can do a good MOT as well. ;)
Southampton

Offline fizzydog

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »
They are always like that mate
That how everyone knows its me taking them. ;D

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Dave.
Bikers check the weather in the morning to see if they're gonna ride. Motorcyclist only check the weather to see what were gonna wear.
RD250'D'         
RD400'E'
HONDA CB700
TRIUMPH TIGER 800XC
In the Heart of Cheshire.

Offline gibbsspares2

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
yambits battery by any chance,same prob with mine.
regards adrian
same make of battery as well
250 e,finished

yamaha 600 fs fazer
lowestoft,suffolk
 member 2087

Offline 3ma

• 3ma
  • Committe Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:44:24 PM »
optimiser charges are very good but dont really put a lot in at less than 1 amp , but talking to quite a few bike shop owners local they all say that batterys need at times a good kick up the a+=e with a heavy duty charge 4-5 amps going through them , could,nt agree more that optimiser chargers say that the battery is good when far from the truth  :(
YAMAHA RD400C X 4 , RD430F ,  RD350A , RD250D , RD200E , RD125 (ON REBUILD) + 1 , TZ250W , TZR250 3MA , YL1 TWINJET , HARRIS MAGNUM 2 , FZR600R , LS2 .

BEST RD125 2016 / 18 ( WITH LS2 )
BEST RD200 RD12 / 13 / 16
BEST RD400 RD12 / 15 BEST AT RALLY RD400 RD 13 / 16 2ND 2017

Offline Johnny

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
Still not conviced you;ve found the cure Paul .

I charged the battery , and tested it with a multimeter to prove it was fully charged only for it to go flat again within a week.

Let me know after a week or two if the newer battery has held its charge while on the bike   :(
Yamaha YDS7 (sold)
Monster 600 (wifes)
Ducati  748 (keeper)
Honda CB200 (for sale)

Offline Hairy Scotsman

• IT / IS Engineer
  • Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • Member No. 278
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »
There's a quick way to check if the bike is drawing current when switched off by using a multimeter.
Disconnect one of the battery leads, (for digital multimeters itdoesn't matter which one, positive or negative, for a n a logue meters disconnect the positive & attach to red meter lead)
Change the multimeter leads around so that the black is in the common input & put the red lead into the fused input. (I dont expect that you'll see 10A but better safe than sorry)
Set the multimeter it for DC AMPS.
Connect the free battery terminal to one of the multimeter inputs, Connect the flying lead from the loom to the other multimeter input.
With the ignition switched off there should not be any reading on the meter i.e. no current.
If you get a reading something is causing a load & needs to be checked out. That's the hard bit!

Edit - If there is a load, Keep the meter attached & unplug every connector till the meter shows zero amps, that'll identify what's causing the issue.

Are there any other wires connected to the battery? (except for +ve to loom & earth to frame)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:25:28 PM by Hairy Scotsman »
400F, 350LC YPVS NII

Offline Johnny

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:42:26 AM »
There's a quick way to check if the bike is drawing current when switched off by using a multimeter.
Disconnect one of the battery leads, (for digital multimeters itdoesn't matter which one, positive or negative, for a n a logue meters disconnect the positive & attach to red meter lead)
Change the multimeter leads around so that the black is in the common input & put the red lead into the fused input. (I dont expect that you'll see 10A but better safe than sorry)
Set the multimeter it for DC AMPS.
Connect the free battery terminal to one of the multimeter inputs, Connect the flying lead from the loom to the other multimeter input.
With the ignition switched off there should not be any reading on the meter i.e. no current.
If you get a reading something is causing a load & needs to be checked out. That's the hard bit!

Edit - If there is a load, Keep the meter attached & unplug every connector till the meter shows zero amps, that'll identify what's causing the issue.

Are there any other wires connected to the battery? (except for +ve to loom & earth to frame)

Great advice H/S , let us know how you get on Paul
Yamaha YDS7 (sold)
Monster 600 (wifes)
Ducati  748 (keeper)
Honda CB200 (for sale)

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
Just checked it out.

Theres is no power drawing from the battery at all with the ignition off.
Also I have left the battery connected to the bike with no optimiser on for 10 days now and its not lost any power.(and its cold in he garage)

I reckon we had a duff battery from the beginning.
I will leave the battery connected with no optimiser until Tusday and see what happens. I need to fit that battery to my special Tuesday its the only battery I have for 3 bikes) :-[
Southampton