Author Topic: Back to Bikes.  (Read 311 times)

Offline Reving Kevin

• Newcomer
Back to Bikes.
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:31:34 PM »
Hi All, I've made an introduction on the Farcebook page, but I'll say a proper 'Hello' on here. Returning rider after some 27 yrs if my calculations are correct. Recently bought an RD250E off of a member in Northern Ireland. Very pleased with my buy, just the bike I was after, not to tidy that I'm scared to take it out, well enough cared for to just ride. Here it is outside the shed...

I'm in Bedfordshire now, but like a lot of you on here, I grew up in Essex - Rayleigh during the bike days - late 70's through the 80's, then laterly Southend and Leigh on Sea. Taken me a while to 'decompress' since moving up here to Bedfordshire.

Anyhow, taking it easy till I get my sea legs back and enjoying fiddling about with a bike again - a couple of stripped threads to deal with, and fitting a grab rail so I can take the Chat-Nav out with me.

Hope to be a contributing member on here.

KC

Offline Micron

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Back to Bikes.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forum from another former resident of Rayleigh, I didn't move so far away, as I'm only in Benfleet.

Nice looking bike, I also have a white & Red 250f

Trev

Online ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum.. lived in Southend all of my 64 years and still here :o
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, nice looking RD and your weekend pier a terre looks alright as well :)
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Reving Kevin

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
Thanks Gents,

we would have probably stayed in Leigh on Sea, but the airport expansion pushed us out, we were on the flight path, had a chance to leave and took a gamble. We were gutted to go, but really love where we have ended up and are very glad we moved now. I posted this up on FB, but here again.

-
My FS1E. Got it through the local paper, there was some kind of electrical fault, which is why the lamp is out. Dad was an engineer and taught me how to fix things, he had a lot of patience! The seller told me that when you filled it up, you had to put two squirts of oil into the petrol from the can on the Station forecourt. I put in two squirts from an engineers oil can that I found near the pump, thinking that it didn't seem much and not seeing the fire extinguisher type dispenser of two stroke oil I should have used! But the bike survived.

Another time, I ran it right out of juice and put the oil in first, then the petrol - of course it just filled the carb with two stroke oil and the bast@rd would not start.

It got stolen twice (got back both times). I took the delicious Debbie to the cinema to see Saturday Night Fever, having taken off my L plates of course. When we came out the bike was gone, and we had to phone her parents to pick us up - boy did I get a bollocking! (Wouldn't of minded so much if we'd gone to see The Warriors). Bonus point for Debbie's lovely older sister dating a Hawkwind roadie.

That was the Alpha, this was the Omega.

Offline Reving Kevin

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:27:24 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for these, but can't see another section more relevant.

The Fizzy gave way to a BSA C15 250, which was made up from a Tea Chest of bits by a friend. It was a nice bike, but unreliable, I learnt a lot about mechanics from that thing. As I was always fixing it, a friend suggested that I get a run around, something to thrash without a care as I didn't have much respect for Japanese bikes. He had a KH250 behind his garage, I didn't even know it was there. Had a seized middle pot and was painted the same brown as a 'Treat' sweet. I got the pot honed and it ran fine.

It was ratty, sounded like a hair dryer, but boy did I love that thing! It started everytime, it went and it stopped, the oil stayed in it except the plumes out of the exhausts and the lights didn't suddenly go out down country lanes at night! I was a convert. Of course even then, the triples were considered a bit old hat, but that just made me like it more. Zippy 2 strokes were just the thing for the country lanes we liked running down.

Test passed and a set of 400 barrels were slotted on the bottom end, some cosmetic improvements (a green frame seemed a good idea), some filing of ports and expansion chambers added.

Every winter it would come off of the road and I'd try and make it faster, handle better and look more flash. I guess, If I have any small distinction, it is that I ran that rolling chassis as a KH250, KH400, and in the end, stuffed a H1B motor in there (often putting 250 side panels on it for a laugh). I have a few more pics, but on slides so I need to get them converted. As I said, there was also a YR5 in there (red frame??) which I loved riding as well, and the 350LC for when I gave up struggling to make up performance to keep with newer bikes.

The 400 with a halogen rally light above the headlight for the dark runs back from the out of the way pubs.