Author Topic: mid life crisis Manchester  (Read 492 times)

Offline azzy

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
mid life crisis Manchester
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:37:29 PM »
Eh up all
just bought a YDS7 so thought I had better join the club. first two banger for a lot of years but looking forward to the fun I used to have. Can anyone put me onto a good place to get frame etc painted Thanks   

Online ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
Re: mid life crisis Manchester
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:51:26 PM »
Welcome to the club and the forum, this is a very fast response forum so you won't wait long for replies to your questions.  We have a few YDS owners in the club and on here.  I can't directly answer this question as I painted mine myself but someone will be on here soon who can.  We have a restoration section so it would be good to post your progress and Pics(we love pics) there.. Good luck  Paul
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 07:36:54 AM »
Welcome to the Forum
Hopefully some of our Northern contingent will be along soon to advise on frame painting, if not re-ask the question in the Tech Help section as there is more chance of it being seen in there
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Admin

• Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Webmaster and European Correspondent
    • Drone pilot and website Designer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
www.moto-coat.co.uk

These guys are spot on. They have done all my powder coating over the years. Ask for Dave or Alan (they are brothers).

I designed their website and I can highly recommend them.

Cheers
Barrie
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:39:26 AM by Admin »
Just my 250 special left now !

Offline betty foRD

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
Eh up all
just bought a YDS7 so thought I had better join the club. first two banger for a lot of years but looking forward to the fun I used to have. Can anyone put me onto a good place to get frame etc painted Thanks

Just some advice...jump to the engine and see what’s going on there, that’s the place that the money can flow...
The frame is relatively easy, lots of options from full one stop shop as Barrie mentioned to just getting it blasted and rattle can it yourself...IMO rattle can is closest to factory finish 😀

Then that just leaves...Chrome, paint, electrics and all the missing bits!
Ofcourse some of what you have might have already could be suitable for a rolling restoration.

A pic would say 1000 words if you can pop one up.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline azzy

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 12:26:30 AM »
Thanks all bought this in bits engine intact picture is how it was before previous owner stripped it. Engine is intact but as advise could be a starting point instead of my idea of frame

Online old rd user

• Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
i would put it all together get it running and fit to ride get a mot on it ride it and see if you like it before spending loads of money on it if you need any parts give me a message as i have a r5 and have a lot of spares for that some off which will fit yours
cheers from phil

Offline betty foRD

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
Not sure there a single specific recipie as starting condition ultimate determines course of action but I think a common mistake on first restorations is to start first rather than to plan first, you can then get too far in to stop and with big bills in front.
Ultimately to be useable the bike needs to run and stop! If it can do that Everything else is an option. But if you start by making it look nice without determining the budget to get it running and stopping properly you may find yourself in a bad financial place.

Taking the top end of the engine is easy, from there you can asses most things.

Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline azzy

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »
i would put it all together get it running and fit to ride get a mot on it ride it and see if you like it before spending loads of money on it if you need any parts give me a message as i have a r5 and have a lot of spares for that some off which will fit yours
cheers from phil
Thanks Phil sound advice sure I will need some bits will give you a shout

Offline azzy

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:47:13 PM »
Thanks everyone loving the advice, how active is this forum? Brilliant.
Like all the ideas here and am aware I may not like it once done but to be honest bought it for the fun of doing it!! I bought a c11 BSA last year and actually enjoy riding that so reckon I should be ok  :-\

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
Do be aware that the old bikes can be a money pit and it is easy to spend more than the bike is worth. This is fine if you are happy with the result, it is less good if you don't like the finished bike and sell it at a loss ( although the next owner will be chuffed)
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett