Author Topic: Cleaning Cylinder Cooling Fins  (Read 401 times)

Offline chrisg.007

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Cleaning Cylinder Cooling Fins
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
I used this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PJ1-Fast-Black-High-Paint/dp/B00230GIX8

Some guys have used barbeque paint with good results. Maybe experiment with a test piece to obtain the finish you want. Personally I don't like the matt finish. satin or gloss works for me.

Growing old is compulsery, growing up is optional.

RD400D
RD250E  350 conversion
Suzuki X7
RD400E

Offline hamsav

• Port Hacker
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
(gun ) bore brushes  come in various diameters  in nylon , brass , and stainless  and are ideal for getting into spaces like fins , brass is probly best for ally.  There are better things to use  but most would require the removal of the cylinders . I have found the main issue with fins ect is getting the clear lacquer to stick rather than the heat proofness of the product, so whatever method you use to remove crud  you need to clean the surface with something like preposol  ( to remove residual wax , oil , grease ) and those special cloths car painters use ( I think they are called  tac cloths ) to remove any dust  and lint . I have used  ordinary aerosol lacquer  several times and the heat doesn't seem to be an issue :)
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my bikes for what I told her I paid for them

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 10:15:34 PM »
(gun ) bore brushes  come in various diameters  in nylon , brass , and stainless  and are ideal for getting into spaces like fins , brass is probly best for ally.  There are better things to use  but most would require the removal of the cylinders . I have found the main issue with fins ect is getting the clear lacquer to stick rather than the heat proofness of the product, so whatever method you use to remove crud  you need to clean the surface with something like preposol  ( to remove residual wax , oil , grease ) and those special cloths car painters use ( I think they are called  tac cloths ) to remove any dust  and lint . I have used  ordinary aerosol lacquer  several times and the heat doesn't seem to be an issue :)

+1 for that, those brushes are great, use the steel ones in a drill for internal down pipes, works a treat!
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) in bits!
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 being ridden
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 just acquired