Author Topic: Yamaha RD500LC  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Yamaha RD500LC
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
Hi all

I’m need of some help with the Rd500, it only runs on the bottom 2 cylinders, on the top it’s had new coil, ht leads, plugs and plug caps,
When I got it it was running on 3 cylinders, it now only runs on 2, I've emptied all 4 carb bowels to check if it had water in there. All had clean petrol pouring out. The air filter is new.

I’ve had the bike running and poured petrol into the top carbs and it still won’t run on the top cylinders.

So I’m at wits end with it, would anyone know a possible cause for this non runner on the top cylinders or know of anyone  that’s a dab hand with these V4 engines..........

Many thanks

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Yamaha RD500LC
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:25:00 PM »
Tony at AJ's in Hull knows the 500's inside out, certainly worth a call.   ;)      https://www.facebook.com/AjsVaopurClean/?hc_ref=ARR8LRsMvBribhx5XvKUZl-h4qHSqviTo8bLJN57G3S-HsKnV_Lax_vADdqPDMT23j8

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »
Many thanks will give him a call :)

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:52:08 PM »
he is member Oneshot on here

http://www.ajsvapourclean.com/
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
I couldn't remember his handle Merv but thats it Oneshot, not on here very often though.    :)

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 03:10:55 PM »
Hi guys

Had a chat with tony, will drop the bike of to him next weekend, then he find out the minor running problem with, sounds a really nice helpful chat, will up date once I know the problem,

Many thanks to both of you.

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
Cheers Dale, be good to know how you get on.   :)

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »
Hi Dave

Spoke to Tony last week what a top bloke he was, drove half way down south to meet me to collect the bike on Saturday, just have to sit and wait for the phone call from him on the verdict on the problem of only running on the bottom two pots.

Soon as he lets me know. I will update on the problem.

Many thanks Dale

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »
Any updates yet Dale..... :)

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »
Hi Dave

Collecting the bike tomorrow after it having the carbs stripped and cleaned, new plug caps and the coils checked over, just needs the fairing re-painting and should be good to go when the weather warms up  8) 8)

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
Sounds like it was probably a carb problem then Dale, anyway at least Tony's got you sorted, roll on the warm weather.    :)

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
After getting the bike today, I had a problem with the coil that Tony sorted out, also the carbs were the problem, it still had the old foam air filter in it that had also perished well it was about the size of a 2 pound coin which we think that got sucked into the carbs. All good now and well pleased it’s running spot on it.

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
Quick update,

Got the bike back from Tony who had dismantled the carbs cleaned and put back on and bike running again.
Then had to wait a couple of months while all the panels and tank were resprayed, got all excited on Tuesday when I got the bike together filled the tank will petrol and of I went. Got a mile up the road and the temperature gauge hit the red took it back home, checked the wire to the temp sensor cleaned and put back on, checked the gearbox oil topped that up went back out and was back after 2 mins with the temp gauge showing in the red, also the black oil which came out of the exhausts and covered the rear end. On the yambit site to order a new sensor and thermostat hopefully they arrive Saturday so I can put them on and see if it resolves the over heating. Then it’s booked in next week at Krazy Katt to run on the dyno to see if he can find the reason it’s running a rich mixture.

Offline Toploader_rd250

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
Quick update,

Got the bike back from Tony who had dismantled the carbs cleaned and put back on and bike running again.
Then had to wait a couple of months while all the panels and tank were resprayed, got all excited on Tuesday when I got the bike together filled the tank will petrol and of I went. Got a mile up the road and the temperature gauge hit the red took it back home, checked the wire to the temp sensor cleaned and put back on, checked the gearbox oil topped that up went back out and was back after 2 mins with the temp gauge showing in the red, also the black oil which came out of the exhausts and covered the rear end. On the yambit site to order a new sensor and thermostat hopefully they arrive Saturday so I can put them on and see if it resolves the over heating. Then it’s booked in next week at Krazy Katt to run on the dyno to see if he can find the reason it’s running a rich mixture.
Never thought it would prove so difficult to obtain parts for the bike, Never like to give in on getting the parts as have had a couple of people in america that may have spares