Author Topic: Excellent engine paint  (Read 166 times)

Offline Greggers

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Excellent engine paint
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »

I repainted my barrels and heads yesterday - I was going to use the Simonz Tough Black I bought recently but could only find a part used can in my shit hole of a garage.  Then I remembered that I bought a couple of tins of Baufix high temp paint from Lidl a while ago so thought it was an appropriate time to give it a go.

I have to say that it has given an excellent result, easy to apply, quick-ish to dry for 2nd coat, and an hour for touch dry. It needed an hour at 160C to fully cure the paint - see my 'Marital Harmony' post - and now I'm even more impressed. It's really durable, quite dirt resistant and once cured is hard enough for me to have to put a fair bit of effort into dressing the fin edges back to bare metal.

The only problem is knowing when it comes up on Lidl's special days - but if you don't need any VHT paint now it's worth picking some up  for when you do..

All the best

Greg

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Excellent engine paint
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:44:46 AM »
I have used the lidle paint too and found it really good
Rd 350 special
Silver-dust 350b now finished by sfbrain and truely lovely
Barnfull of shitty shit
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
Now have an R1Z 250

Offline cooleronthecoast

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »
Well, they do say a Lidl goes a long way.    Dohhhh!  :D
I've always had at least one road bike around the place since my first RD200B in 1975.  I'm now RDless,  at least for the time being, currently 2 bikes residing in the garage, a 1985 Honda VF1000R and an Aprilia Caponord 1200 TP circa 2015.

Offline Comms Guy

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • RD400F RD400C GSX1400 RD200DX
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
I love Aldi n Lidl. Got the Apps on my mobile to keep an eye out for the special offer days :D :D :D