Author Topic: RD250C rebuild (NOVA ref obtained)  (Read 64038 times)

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD250C rebuild (NOVA1 posted)
« Reply #285 on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »
Fingers crossed for you.
Is there a plan B?
I know it loses originality but is a buying a frame + v5 an option for you?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
Re: RD250C rebuild (NOVA1 posted)
« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
Fingers crossed for you.
Is there a plan B?
I know it loses originality but is a buying a frame + v5 an option for you?

I think I'd rather just go for the Q-plate tbh Motty. After all this time why turn it into another bike? I'm not bothered too much about resale value. It's not like I could keep the original Jersey number so any valid UK reg will do for me, including a Q-plate, but I don't think it'll come to that. I don't think anyone in HMRC will care about the DVLA/registration aspect. They'll just want the (VAT) form out their hair: Old bike bought for less than £100 and brought here nearly 30 years ago. no suspicious activity, clear it for 'no payment due' and slap a ref on it. That's what I hope for anyway.

I noticed tonight their guidance actually shows that online applications get a ref with format NOVA13E100000 and paper ones get NOVA13P700000 so I feel like it's a fairly well-trodden path and they will be able to accommodate my application. After working in HMRC for so long I believe the staff just want things to fit their system. It can be ridiculous actually as the amount of fraudulent tax returns we got was laughable but the managers didn't care as long as the system accepted it. I worked in tax credits too. The fraud was abhorrent. Ppl just putting any random figure down for their income. We had access to their actual income but it was a sackable offence to cross check it. That was for employed ppl.

With the self employed there was nothing to check against. They could effectively put zero down every year. And many did. A good example was taxi drivers form certain areas just put down that their turnover for the year was equal to the personal allowance. Like they all earned £4615 that year. No-one batted an eyelid  >:(

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:29:08 PM by Foy(notFox) »
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD250C rebuild (caliper painted)
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »
Not much to say about this one really. Almost feels too easy after the disappointment of the leakdown kit and the snowballs-chance-in-hell attempts to get duplicate paperwork for the bike.

Basically caliper was stripped and dipped (I think) some time ago and I just ran over it with a £shop mini wire brush, Sellotaped over the decals & mating-faces, stuck old pistons in bores and sprayed it with a couple of coats of PJ1 that I had from doing the engine casings.

Looks great. Just need to clean up the bores, with the brass mini brush perhaps, and put in the new seals and stainless pistons. Will do the same with the spare one I dismantled the other week   

original caliper has been waiting patiently for paint for some time 

YC/5C/YE/5I - wonder what they mean
  :-\

let us spray

easy peasy

just needs seals fitted

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD250C rebuild (NOVA ref obtained)
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »
Well. Success - I got my NOVA ref  :)  :)

As I said before I thought I'd wait till January before chasing it up. Didn't get anything in post and thought mb it was rejected as I printed the form off myself when the site tells you to request one by phone.

So called for a paper one the other day but still hoped something would come in post. That's the way things work out I find.

Anyway for some reason I checked me emails today (account I don't use much but did put the address on my NOVA application) and there it was. They'd replied within a fortnight, but by email instead of post which I find a bit surprising.

Anyway the thing comes as a PDF so I have printed it off and can send it attached to V5 once MOT and (possibly) insurance sorted. Think I read recently that you don't need the insurance if it's SORNd. Anyway I'm not bothered about that. Just happy to have a NOVA ref  ;D

Also, as I said in post #286, it has a NOVAXXP ref as it was a paper submission. I see the 13 is 18 now. Maybe they get a lot of vehicles coming in...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:51:14 PM by Foy(notFox) »

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »
Well done Graham, you did sound confident that you would get the NOVA reference in your earlier posts

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Alvin Sparklug

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2018, 08:12:19 PM »
great news,  :) that is a tidy start to the new year.
CS3-RD250B-elsinore-RD400D-Gt380...current RD250C,just added GT250B

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #291 on: January 09, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Good to see you were given fair treatment by HMRC etc!  :)

5port
5port

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
Yip. Thanks guys. Am well chuffed. It's like I went back in time and sorted a problem. Seems so long ago I brought it over and all those years passing thought would have no chance of sorting it but I was honest with my information and it worked out.

Anyway new enthusiasm has got me thinking need to make decision on this leakdown business. I've got three options I reckon. Well 4 perhaps:

• get a kit from USA with rubber bungs
  • contact seller of original kit and ask for 3rd set of bugs - red ones?
  • forget about further checks as there's no sign of any bubbles from crank seals anyway
  • keep trying sealant on the plugs I have

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:20:31 PM by Foy(notFox) »

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #293 on: January 10, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
I would go with option three, although I suspect that is due to me being impatient to get the bike completed. You have taken years to get to this, you are more likely to take your time to do the best job you can

Terry Pratchett