Restorations Diary / Re: ReD400e
« Last post by 2r9 on Today at 03:40:55 PM »
You know when you've been Tangoed.
« Last post by stukey on Today at 12:24:49 PM »
I like the colour :) :)
Out And About / Essex - first trail ride in ages
« Last post by PB1 on Today at 12:19:31 PM »
Yesterday I took my newly acquired 125cc lightweight trail bike out on a 100+mile route, 23 miles of which were off-road. Although having done Enduro some years ago, I've not done this type of riding for many years now and, with my advancing years, big off-road bikes are too heavy for me now. The little bike was perfect for the job!

I live the other side of Colchester and had planned and marked up a route using an OS Landranger map 168.  It took in most of the Colne Valley, mainly in a triangle made up of Colchester/Halstead/Coggeshall.  There are a surprising number of BOATs (Byways Open to All Traffic... which used to be just called green lanes when I was a lad), small lanes and many other "white" roads that can legally be ridden. With the map in a Enduro style map-holder on the tank, I was off on a mini-adventure!

Best of all, I was able to ride the 6 mile green lane from Greenstead Green (where I grew up) to Coggeshall, which we used to ride our old Bantams and clapped-out Villiers powered wrecks along when we were youngsters.  It was very nostalgic and a great joy to relive those rides from 50 odd years ago.

I met no "anti-biker" rants from any ramblers, dog walkers, etc - all were very pleasant and gave me a wave as I rode carefully past. I found that if you are considerate of other people they will be likewise to you.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.... All in all it was a very pleasant day out, and I would really recommend to anyone to do similar if you have a suitable bike.  Doing it in summer, especially weather like this, guarantees dry ground and none of that energy sapping mud-plugging you'd get in winter.  Hopefully, I'll be out again soon, on another planned route further to the north of me.
Having carbon build up between the spark plug electrodes, to the extent that it bridges the gap and causes a short circuit, is called "carbon whiskering".
A suggested fix for engines that had this happen often was to cut back the ground electrode so that it extends only slightly over the centre electrode.
You can maintain the proper spark points gap, but it is much harder for carbon build up to become a problem.

Aircooled RD Tech Help 250cc and Above / Re: Rebore recommendations
« Last post by OZZYSBIKES on Today at 11:39:50 AM »
HI 5PORT, thanks, does Mick abbey also do rebores or just the porting ?
Is Thornaby in the North east ?
« Last post by Blueyfarm on Today at 11:03:30 AM »
Tank is same scheme as oil tank so generally very red!
Aircooled RD Tech Help 200cc and Below / Re: New member intro
« Last post by Frankie 2 sheds on Today at 11:03:18 AM »
missed one
« Last post by 5port on Today at 10:58:25 AM »
What colour is the tank then?  :-\

:)

5port
Aircooled RD Tech Help 200cc and Below / Re: New member intro
« Last post by Frankie 2 sheds on Today at 10:57:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, I've posted a few pics minus the sheds. The rd as I bought it, in progress pics, and my last project an XS750, before and after. I intend to build the rd as a sort of cafe/naked type with inverted front forks and a mono shock rear end and different wheels blah blah. That's the plan fingers crossed. When building the XS I joined the xs750 members site which became invaluable to me, without them I would have been f##cked. Hopefully I can lean on you guys too.......Frank
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10