Author Topic: How to fill out Form V55/5  (Read 46099 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GerryT

  • Club Member
  • Newcomer
  • Posts: 11
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
sorry to hassle everyone out there with yet another V55/5 question.
section 44 states power to weight ratio required Kw/Kg. I have a 1981 rd125dx
do I fill this section in and more importantly what is the Kw/kg power/weight ratio ?

Thanks Gerry T

Offline Paul Dawkins

  • Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • *
  • Posts: 55266
  • Age: 52
  • Location: Southampton
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »
Just leave that section blank.

Offline PB1

  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 80
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
Just about to go through dating and V55/5....  A quick question, if I may, about not now needing to have insurance in place before sending off the V55/5, as Shaun mentions above.  This is handy, as Shaun says, but how does the issuing of the road tax the same time now work?

Currently you can't tax your bike without valid insurance, so when you pay the registration fee and the fee for the road tax with your V55/5, how does the road tax become valid without the insurance being in place first?

Offline shaunthe2nd

  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 210
  • Age: 56
  • Location: East Yorkshire
  • New member - be gentle!
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 10:05:46 PM »
It seems to go against the grain but you can get tax your bike without insuring it when going through the registration process.
Someone told me that the V55/5 form has been updated recently and as I haven't registered another bike since end of 2016 I can't say exactly what the changes are in this lastest form, perhaps someone can advise?
RD350LC - RD250LC - RD200DX

Offline PB1

  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 80
Re: UPDATE - How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
MOT tomorrow and V55/5 being sent off shortly afterwards. Fingers crossed!

Shaun - there are 2 changes that I can see:

In the latest guidance notes (V355/5) which have a date code of 1/17 in the bottom right corner, on the second page it now says:

"Confirming your name and address

Send a photocopy of your photocard driving licence with your application form to prove your identity (the only exceptions are applications made with an 'Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number (V765)).

If you can't do this, you must send in photocopies of one document that proves your name and another document that proves your address."

It then goes on to give you the usual list of documents that are acceptable.  This is good news, as a 50p colour photocopy is much less of a worry than posting the licence itself.

Also, on the latest V55/5 form itself, which has a date code of 12/16 in the top right hand corner, there appears to be an additional question box added between 45 and 46 on the older form.  46 is now "Date of registration in UK" and all the other boxes are now the next number along from what they were in your description above, so "Partial Postcode of Purchaser" is now box 48, for example.

it doesn't change Paul's and your advice on filling out the form, it just means that people have to be careful to remember that each box's answer (after 45) is one ahead on the new form.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:58:09 AM by PB1 »

Offline PB1

  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 80
Success! Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:10 PM »
Further to the above, after sorting an issue with the format of the frame number/VIN on the NOVA application and certificate, the V55/5 was posted to DVLA on the 7th June with a dating cert (thanks Paul), a photocopy of my driver's licence, a print of the NOVA number, and a supporting letter stating why there was no original French title/registration documents with the bike, and the V5C arrived back here on the 18th June.

I now have BFW ***W for my 1981 bike instead of an expected Q plate. A good result all round, and I have to say that HMRC and DVLA have been very efficient indeed.

I insured it this evening and the first on-road test ride will be in the morning.

Offline Alvin

  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 162
  • Age: 60
  • Location: Glamis,Angus.Scotland
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
seems a lot more straight forward now, hopefully mine will go through just as easy in the next week or two.  :)
RD400. USA "D"

"And the Rodneys are queueing up ,god forbid."

Offline splant

  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 484
  • Location: United Kingdom
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »
What reasons can you give for having no cert of title or foreign log book?
oops i think my powerbands snapped .

Offline PB1

  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 80
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
In my supporting letter that I enclosed I said....

Please find enclosed a V55/5 form completed to the best of my knowledge, and other relevant paperwork, for a classic motorcycle I purchased within the UK but had been imported from France by the person I bought it from.
I enclose a print-off of the NOVA notification email showing the NOVA reference number; the original handwritten sale receipt; the eBay invoice, and a printed version of the motorcycle’s MOT.
For my name and address evidence I enclose a photocopy of my driving licence photocard, as advised in the 1/17 version of the V355/5 guide.
One thing I don’t have is any French title/registration/documentation or similar, as none of this came with the motorcycle and is not available to me.  I do have a dating certificate though, provided by Paul Dawkins at the Aircooled RD Club, and I have enclosed this. This certificate dates the motorcycle as being manufactured in May 1981 and I have used a date towards the end of that month (the 28th) as a reasonable assumption for the first date of registration within France.
I hope all this is in order and is enough to allow an age related registration to be given.
If there is any other information needed from me, I am happy to be contacted by email (preferred) or telephone, or by letter.
Yours faithfully...... etc

...and it all went through okay and pretty quickly too.  Good luck with yours.

Offline shaunthe2nd

  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 210
  • Age: 56
  • Location: East Yorkshire
  • New member - be gentle!
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:19 PM »
Update July 2018:

I have just done another for a mate, and the V55/5 form has changed slightly since my last update in 2016, so I'm updating this thread again.

First you need to register the imported bike on the Nova import system, and pay any taxes or duties. Usually minimum or nothing, but you need the Nova reference number.

You are supposed to do this within 14 days of the bike/frame entering the country. They don't appear to check though.

You need to make the bike road worthy, and then get an MOT, which can be done based on the frame VIN number.

You no longer need to Insure the bike (unless you are resident in Northern Island) which was a pain in the ass trying to get it done on the VIN number as many insurers would only do it for 14 or 28 days.

You have to apply to the DVLA on line for a V55/5 form to be posted to your address.


They post this out for you, its not online, and takes 1-2 weeks to receive.

There are a lot of questions on the V55/5 but these are the only ones you need to answer...

Top RH side of form: state country of import = eg Germany

Underneath that is asks if vehicle is right or left hand drive, Tick RHD box

2 Tax class = motorcycle

3 Period of tax = 12 months

4 Registration fee - tick box

Tax payable - indicate £41 (current tax fee for 151-400cc bike)

6 Make = Yamaha
(or whatever)

7 Model RD250LC (or whatever)

9 Wheelplan = 2 wheel

10 Colour = white (or whatever)

11 Type approval = exempt

18 No of seats = 2

27 Year of manufacture = 1982 (or whatever)

29 Fill in required date
for tax to start

30 Type of fuel = petrol

31 VIN = fill this in

32 Engine number = fill this in

33 CC = 247 (or 347)

45 Date of original registration - fill this in from original docs

48 Type your partial post code

49 Your name and address etc

50 Date of birth and contact details etc

51 Reason for type approval exemption = 'over 10 years old'

52 - Tick 'no'

55 Type in mileage (make sure is close match to MOT)

Tick and sign the various boxes with your attachments etc.

I sent a letter as well and included:

-you should advise them of yr Nova number (i also printed and sent copy of the email i had with the details on)

-copy of your passport (or other copy ID such as driving licence, marriage certificate, birth certificate)

-household bill

(or bank statement to confirm your address)

-copy of MOT (you can get one based on VIN number)

-cheque for £96 = £55 registration fee + £41 bike tax

-the original German (or other country) registration document with your application if you want age related plate as this should give the evidence of its age.

They will keep this document so you may want to make a good colour copy of it for sentimental reasons.

-if you don't have the original registration document you will need to get a dating certificate from Yamaha or other body.
Paul Dawkins on here used to do them but not sure if that is still the case.

Without age evidence you will probably be allocated a Q plate.

With all the above, DVLA just processed my recent application in just 1 week (impressive!) and sent me the V5 and other documents back, with the exception of the original registration document.

I got an age related number allocated, and you get a letter you can use to get a plate made up. You can buy them on-line without this though.

They no longer send you back an updated MOT with the new reg on it, you get the original you sent back based on the VIN but they say in a note that the MOT is still valid so don't worry.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
RD350LC - RD250LC - RD200DX

Offline martin1957

  • Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • Posts: 1065
  • Age: 61
  • Location: Gillingham, Kent
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
I have just got all my paperwork back from the DVLA. Unsucessful.

I included the original receipt/bill of sale from the UK dealer, and the NOVA paper from DK motorcycles, and an embossed dating letter from this club.

The DVLA said:-

You have not enclosed your original non-UK registration certificate or export certificate. In oreder to register an imported vehicle you must provide the original non-UK registration certificate or export certificate, photo copies are not acceptable. If the original document is not available, you must send a letter of explanation and any other import/proof of purchase documents you have that relate to the vehicle (e.g.shipping documents, invoices) together with evidence of your vehicles date of manufacture. Date of manufacture evidence must come from the vehicle manufacturer. If the vehicle manufacturer is no longer in existence or is unable to provide dating evidence we will consider accepting dating evidence from an alternative reliable source such as a vehicle owners club or enthusiasts club.

What do they need? There is no phone number supplied to contact them either.........

Bike is an American import @ 1971 from Ohio.

Electronic Test Engineer (Avionics), Age 60, Owned P50, PC50, SS50z, YAS1, YDS7, RD350B till 1978, then KH400 from 2009 onwards. Have a fully restored YAS1 on the road, and an AT3 import to MoT. And now a Suzuki T125 Stinger to get fired up.

Offline Foy(notFox)

  • Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • Posts: 1495
  • Age: 49
  • Location: East Kilbride, Scotland
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
That's grim martin1957  :(

I assumed with NOVA ref and dating evidence it would be plain sailing.  :-\

The reply sounds like a stock answer and could've been generated by a new or inexperienced member of staff.

I say this as I worked in HMRC for over 20 years and despite what the public think there is generally no personal input into anything. Staff cannot make judgements basically. They follow strict decision making trees then click the appropriate button. The staff never see the resulting output to the customer believe it  or not. So when they tick a 'no' box on their system they don't know what message the customer recieves. Your response sounds like the output for two 'no' ticks. It's not been written by a person.

People get moved round different departments and trained by their colleagues. Some of the stuff I heard colleagues say beggared belief. One lovely lady (who'd been there for 30 years) didn't know how to work out the tax code deduction for a company car despite the process just being to punch in the name, cc, co2 fig etc of the car. She'd then say 'see I don't drive that's how I don't know how to do this'

Your case sounds very similar to PB1s and his went through fine. The person dealing with your case may have made a mistake or followed a different route thru the guidance.

In my team at HMRC if you asked the group a question on something we dealt with you'd usually get several different answers so it might be worth re-submitting your application with a cover note. It's unlikely that the same person will deal with your application twice.

Looking at the wider picture I think here we need to ask what is the purpose of the V55/5 and why would they not want to allocate a registration number.....

Well when I submitted my NOVA application I had to remind myself that all they (Customs) are really concerned about is that they aren't missing out on revenue for expensive/newer vehicles coming into the UK. I don't think my 40 yr old RD250 brought here in 1989 really fitted that bill but I still understand their processes need to be water-tight and I followed the instructions to the letter and it was successful but I didn't expect it to be as I couldn't satisfy some of their questions on the form

I used to think the V55/5 was quite a simple form but looking at the newer version and the associated guidance leaflet that covers the V55 range am not quite sure what it's for. I thought it was to prevent fraudulent registrations or cloned machines.

Your bike and application are obviously pukka and I think you've just missed out on a tick or two in the 'official use only' box on the 2nd page. There is one there that says 'dating evidence from manufacturer'. It doesn't have one for 'other means of dating evidence' but their reply tells you this is an option. You already provided it so I think you should return the papers and politely point out you enclosed that. Same with their point about import/export. Just re-refer them to NOVA ref.

Good luck 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:55:04 PM by Foy(notFox) »
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline tibsy

  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 139
  • Age: 63
  • Location: beds
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
Is the Dating letter in your name/address? A couple of yrs back my first application was turned down because the "dating letter" was addressed to the person who imported the bike.Soon as i got a fresh "dating letter" with my name /address on it went straight through!
1966 YM1- latest kid on the block
1993 750 trident- current road bike
1973 T150V

Offline splant

  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 484
  • Location: United Kingdom
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »
I wrote a letter saying that dk told me some states don't have a certificate of title and that's why I didn't have one .what reason did you give them ? Mind you i had to have someone come out to check my bike take photos etc, he's been today i,ll see how long it takes now
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:03:19 PM by splant »
oops i think my powerbands snapped .

Offline Galleyteapot

  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • Posts: 73
Re: How to fill out Form V55/5
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 10:38:48 PM »
You don’t need an mot if bike is over 40 years old, I filled in V55, sent NOVA, original US title, copy of driving license, bill of sale, cheque for £55 first registration fee. V5 came back in less than 2 weeks, age related reg and historic class showing taxed for 12 months.